Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Silent Retreat at Subiaco Abbey

"As morning breaks we sing of your mercy, Lord,
and night will find us proclaiming your fidelity."

Collectively we gather to speak words of faith and truth.
We let our lips sing praise, lest the rocks cry out.
We practice the spiritual disciplines
of silence, prayer, journaling..
And I fail again. And again.
Mouth of mine breaks vow of silence all too easily....
out of habit, out of going along with the throng,
out of wanting to know and be known.
And yet He still surrounds me with His love,
the kind that is everlasting.
That God- love that never fails.

I withdraw again to a quiet place- alone,
for even glances of the eye try to speak,
wanting acceptance from earthly creatures.
My heart is laid bare before me, and I cry out His words,
because mine are no good...
"Create in me a clean heart, O God.
Renew a right spirit within me."
And He answers.
Renewed heart hums, ready to serve-
"I have been blessed by the Lord...
and now, I get to be the blessing."
For Ann's beautiful words about the silent retreat: