Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Cultivating...

And I am washing dishes again,
and wiping crumbs from under the baby's chair when I hear it.
He's been tinkering with the tractor for a while
and now the low rumble of old engine can be heard
through an open window over the kitchen sink ...

and gentle wind invites me to come
and leave my work.
I toss the dish rag and go.
I don't want to miss what is going to happen,
what will happen even if I try to ignore it.

It is time.
Time to join in the breaking.

And hardened dirt feels the turning of disks,

the upset of settled ground,

and all the earth heaves and brings to Light

that which was hidden in darkness.

And it is hard, and clumpy, and obviously dirty...
but the children run about full of excitement.
They kick off their boots and socks - run around barefoot,
instinctively knowing that breaking is holy work.

And my heart, made of dirt, full of dirt,

knows why I have been invited to come... and be here...to toss aside my filthy rags and let the wheels of His throne come near enough to break me again...

and it is a vulnerable place to be,

but I know:

This is where the cultivating of a life God desires begins.

"The sacrifice You desire is a broken spirit.
You will not reject a broken and repentant heart, O God."

Psalm 51:17 (New Living Translation)

New work in our garden continues ...

and I silently pray

that His Word may find good soil in which to grow.

Grace to you,

0 comments: